Monday 29 October 2012

Paranormal Activity 4 (2012) - ★

Director: Henry Joost, Ariel Schulman
Writers: Christopher Landon (screenplay), Chad Feehan (story)
Stars: Katie Featherston, Kathryn Newton, Matt Shively

I'm ashamed of myself. I am absolutely ashamed that I paid money to see this movie. I'm most ashamed that my money is going towards the making of another one of these D-Grade films. Never again will I pay to see a Paranormal Activity film. The fourth installment would have to be one of the worst films of 2012.

In the first film a couple were being terrorized by some sort of demon. It was pretty good. The second was a prequel to the film, then a sequel at the end. In this film a young boy was kidnapped. It wasn't bad. The third film was a prequel to both of the films. I didn't mind it... The fourth film basically disregards the third film completely, and focus' on the stolen boy from the second movie. He is terrorizing a house full of stupid people that I couldn't care less if they lived or died. There you go, that's the story. A boy is terrorizing a household. That's it, nothing else. It answered no questions. Paranormal Activity 4 would have to be the most unnecessary film I've seen in a long time.

First off, it's not scary. Everything in this film was done by the previous three, but better. And that's saying something. The acting was drastically worse in this installment, being particularly poor when it comes to pretending to be 'real.' The idea of setting up laptop cameras around the house to me is stupid. Is the demon stupid? Why doesn't he just shut the laptop? Another thing that gets me is that the main character (Kathryn Newton) was nearly killed numerous times and clearly knew that there was an evil entity in the house, yet she stayed? That doesn't make sense to me no matter how many excuses the creators may have.

This film has two purposes. One of them is to scare people. The other (and most important) is to make money. It failed miserably at scaring people. Everyone was laughing in the cinema at how stupid the film was. I tried my hardest to feel horrified, but I just could not get over how silly it all seemed. What it did do was make money. That's what pisses me off about this film. I implore all of you to never pay to see one of these movies again. They're not worthy of our attention, nor do they belong in a cinema.

This is the worst installment of the series by far. Nothing was revealed in the end, which by the way was such a ridiculous ending. I would have preferred a movie that concluded the series, explained everything thoroughly and had less 'scary' moments. Instead, we got a recycled plot and more questions to be answered. I hate this movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment