Saturday 27 October 2012

Terminator 2: Judgement Day (1991) - ★★★★

Director: James Cameron
Writers: James Cameron, William Wisher Jr.
Stars: Arnold Schwarzenegger, Linda Hamilton, Edward Furlong, Robert Patrick

This movie is awesome in every sense of the word. Ever since I was a child I've loved this film. Of all the action films I've ever seen, Terminator 2 would have to be my favorite. It was practically perfect in every way and deserves to be recognized as one of the greats. It won four Oscars at the Academy Awards and should have been nominated for Best Picture and Best Director in my opinion.

The first Terminator (1984) was absolutely brilliant and really set a high standard for the sequel. Nearly 10 years passed since Sarah Connor (Linda Hamilton) was targeted for termination by a cyborg from the future. Now her son, John (Edward Furlong), the future leader of the resistance, is the target for a newer, more deadly terminator (Robert Patrick). The resistance from the future managed to send a protector (Arnold Schwarzenegger) back to attempt to save John and Sarah. This cyborg sent to terminate them is practically immortal, as is the cyborg sent to protect them, making this film absolutely packed with intricate and thrilling fight scenes.

Schwarzenegger plays the most badass villain in The Terminator, and somehow manages to pull off an even more badass hero in this film. For a cyborg that can't feel or understand emotions, he is unbelievably easy to like and warm up to. As he learns more about the human race and their emotions, you see he starts to pick up small actions and traits from them. It's really quite clever the way director James Cameron shows the subtle difference between the character at the start of the film and at the end.

This is one of those rare films that is even better than the original. I believe it's because there is something to please everyone. There's action, comedy, drama, nudity and even more action. Cameron did a great job with writing a sequel that actually fits well with the original story. Hamilton was incredible as Sarah. She toned up for the role and became one of the strongest and most inspiring female characters I've seen in film. For me, she is second only to Ripley from Ridley Scott's, 'Alien.' I was rooting for her the whole way, mainly because of how she had evolved as a character from the first film. In the first film she was just a young waitress looking to make ends meat, but in this film she wanted to save the human race from enslavement by the cyborgs.

Edward Furlong was the standout in this film. This would have to be the greatest child acting role I've seen, (Yes, even better than Macaulay Culkin in Home Alone). He really captured the nineties with his rebellious attitude and gone but not forgotten catchphrases. He also acted the part of a child caught up in this crazy world of cyborgs brilliantly. His acting really was spectacular, and in my opinion this film would not be anywhere near as legendary without him.

The same goes with Schwarzenegger, who was perfect as the father-figure of John, not to mention a cyborg. He truly played a believable cyborg. With his emotionless face, expressionless voice, and strong appearance, you didn't have to warm up to the idea of him playing a cyborg, he simply was one. I might also add that the beginning credits of the film is one of the greatest I've seen in a movie. There is a playground burning whilst beautifully epic music plays until the film begins. Its haunting images and sound really set the mood perfectly.

The most surprising thing about this film was that it evoked so many emotions in me that typical action films could not. I laughed my ass off when Schwarzenegger tried to comprehend human catchphrases and emotions. I cringed at many action sequences while I was on the edge of my seat. I was eager to see where the story would lead them. Most importantly, it almost moved me to tears when it was all over.

I think I've said it all. This is a perfect action film, and deserves to be on my Movies You Must See list as much as many other classic films.


No comments:

Post a Comment