Monday 27 May 2013

The Lion King (1994) - ★★★★★

Director: Roger Allers, Rob Minkoff
Voice Actors: Jonathon Taylor Thomas, Matthew Broderick, James Earl Jones, Jeremy Irons, Ernie Sabella, Nathan Lane, Rowan Atkinson

So far in my Disney Blogathon, The Lion King takes the prize for making me cry the most. I hadn't seen this movie in like 10 years, so it was quite a shock to be as emotional as I was. It's an indescribably beautiful film that's much more than your average Disney movie. These aren't just the rambling events of cartoon animals, but rather a masterful story that could not have been told in a better way. I was just completely blown away at how much this movie affected me, which is why it is easily one of the greatest movies ever made.

It's the ciiiircle of life! Well, that's what this story is anyway. We all know that the lion is the king of the jungle right? Well here, Mufasa is the king. It starts with the presentation of his new born son, Simba, who will inherit the kingdom once Mufasa is gone. However, Mufasa's evil brother, Scar, plans to kill him and his son so that he can take the throne. Along the way, we meet some of the most awesome characters ever to grace animated film.

The circle of life!
Hakuna Matata, what a wonderful film! To me, almost everything in this movie is perfect. I think I'll kick off this review by talking about the music. THAT SCORE GIVES ME CHILLS! There are a number of amazing scores in the history of cinema, but this is one of the only scores that never fails to make me cry! Thank goodness for Hans Zimmer, one of the greatest modern composers of all time.

The next best thing to me would have to be the songs! This is has arguably the greatest soundtrack in the history of Disney. Can You Feel the Love Tonight was one of my favorite songs when I was a kid! I also freaking love I Just Can't Wait to be King. However, the two best are easily The Circle of Life and Hakuna Matata. I was singing, crying, trying to breath! This movie really pushed my emotions to the limit, I'm sure I sound like the biggest baby right now.

Hakuna Matata! It means no worries, for the rest of your days!
Now, my other favorite thing in this film would have to be the characters! Timon and Pumbaa are... just amazing. God they make me laugh. Just looking at them brings me to a happier place. Their carefree attitudes and witty antics just made the movie great. Scar would have to be one of the greatest Disney villains ever created, with a regal voice and a snobby air to him. I think he probably committed the most heinous crimes out of any Disney villain anyway... I mean, he wanted to kill his brother and his nephew! What a lunatic.

If there's one thing The Lion King should be remembered for, it's the magnificent animation! I think
this movie takes the prize for Best Animation/Music mash-up. Everything just looked and sounded so good together. The scenes of the sunsets, animals, and forests were absolutely breathtaking...

Oh I could ramble all day about how good this movie is, but I think you all know that for yourself. It's one of the highest rated movies on IMDB, and I believe it's the highest rated Disney movie of all time. It's certainly worthy of having that top spot. It's not necessarily my favorite, but I can't deny that it's easily one of the best. It's perfect in its own way... it makes me feel like a kid again. I think The Lion King is a film that will forever be cherished by children and adults of all generations.

No comments:

Post a Comment