Friday 24 May 2013

Toy Story (1995) - ★★★½

Director: John Lasseter
Writers: Huge collabaration, (but it includes Joel Cohen and Joss Whedon)!
Voices: Tom Hanks, Tim Allen, Don Rickles, R. Lee Ermey, Wallace Shawn, Jim Varney, John Ratzenberger

When people talk of their favorite animated movies, odds are someone's going to say Toy Story. I completely understand why, the story is incredible! This was one of my favorite movies as a child. It made me laugh, it scared me, and most importantly, it amazed me! Today, I realized something quite sad... this movie isn't as relevant today as it was back in 1995. There are still many children out there with toy dolls, army men and what not, but let's face it, everything's becoming electronic now. So for me, the ending of this movie was quite bittersweet. One thing this movie did make me do was treat my toys with love and respect.

Just Woody being a jerk
Toy Story works on one basic question... what if toys were alive? From this simple question, an amazing story developed about the troubles of two completely different action figurines. Woody (Tom Hanks), was once Andy's favorite toy to play with. When Christmas came, Andy received a new toy. It was a Buzz Lightyear doll (Tim Allen). So Andy put Woody aside and Buzz became the new favorite. Jealousy brewed inside of Woody, so when he tried to get rid of Buzz he accidentally pushed him out of the window. So we're led on the amazing adventure of a cowboy doll and a space-man doll working together to make it back to their owner's bedroom.

I'm starting to feel like a huge baby these days. Since I've started this Disney Blogathon, I've cried in a number of films. I held it together really well in Toy Story, seeing as it was one of my all time favorite childhood films. Then at the very end of the movie, I couldn't help but shed a tear as Buzz and Woody were flying in the sky, cheering "To Infinity, and beyond!" I think what's cool about this movie is that even though the toys may change over the years, the children will still understand and love the characters on screen.

All of those poor toys coming together to help Woody
If I'm being honest, I didn't love this movie as much as I did as a kid. Mainly because I felt so darn sorry for the toys that were tortured by Sid, the neighbor next door. They used to scare me as a child, but now I just pity them. What makes me so sad (I'm getting emotional while writing this), is that these were absolutely lovely toys that helped Woody and Buzz. I guess in the end Sid will probably end up treating them better, I just wish they didn't have to go through what they did. Oh, the joys of getting older and being aware of the pain of others...


Anywho, this movie is pretty funny, but I didn't find it all that funny. I laughed a few times, mainly at Mr. Potato Head's antics. The characters were all pretty unlikable in this film. Woody was a jerk to Buzz, all of the toys turned on Woody, Buzz had a manufactured personality... if I'm being honest, the only characters I liked were the tortured toys. Hmm... I don't really know why, but the amazement of it all didn't really click with me this time around. Keep in mind, I loved the characters in Toy Story 3.

Just Mr. Potato Head being a jerk
I think that Toy Story was the first successful computer-animated movie. I applaud this innovative achievement, for computer animation suits this story to a tee! However, at times I wish it never happened. I'm a really big fan of 2D animated movies, and to me these 3D films just aren't as  impressive visually. Even recently, movies like Brave and Tangled don't look anywhere near as stunning as Beauty and the Beast (1991). However, some stories really do suit computer animation (Finding Nemo, Shrek, Wreck-It Ralph). That's just my opinion, I'm sure there are heaps of people that think 3D kicks ass.

One thing I love: the theme song You've Got a Friend in Me. To this day, that is Randy Newman's greatest song (in my opinion). However, all of his other songs in this movie kind of annoyed me. He has a really irritating voice! When Buzz tried to fly outside the window, I wanted to block my ears because Randy Newman was singing in the background. I won't deny that Newman is a really talented musician, I just didn't like most of his songs in this movie.

To be perfectly honest with you all, I'm trying to pump myself up about Toy Story, to tell you all how breathtaking it is and how thrilled I was. The truth is... I just wasn't blown away, nor was I thrilled. I'm sure if I was a kid again, or transported to 1995, this would be the most fantastically amazing film. I guess you could say, this film hasn't aged well. I really want to give this movie a high score, but then I'd just be lying to myself. I really do love this film with all my heart, for as a child it did enchant me. For now, I've lost that enchantment a little. I can't put my finger on it, but Toy Story isn't as impressive now as it was 10 years ago.






No comments:

Post a Comment