Thursday 3 October 2013

No.6 (2011) - ★★★★★



No. 6 is the most mature, beautiful shounen-ai anime I've ever seen, and I've seen a lot of them. Its animation and storyline is unmatched by any other anime of its kind (or Yaoi anime for that matter). On top of that, the characters are beautifully developed and easy to fall in love with. I was absolutely hooked after the first episode, and ended up watching every other episode in a row (that's about 4 and a half hours worth of episodes). I guess I just loved everything about No. 6. The theme songs that played in the opening and ending credits, the hilarity, the romance, the music... it just thrilled me. You'd be hard-pressed to find another yaoi/shounen-ai anime that's of a better quality than this. I think it's the best anime of its kind, the cream of the crop. Put it this way. As I was nearing the end of the series, I started to feel anxiety because I'd never see a new episode again. Now that's what I call a powerful show!


The story takes place in the "ideal" and perfect city known as "No.6." Shion, a boy raised in the elite and privileged environment of his home, gives shelter to another boy, who only gives his name as Nezumi ("Rat"). We soon learn that all is not what it seems in No.6, with mysterious deaths and horrendous pasts being revealed along the way. As years pass, Shion and Rat reunite to survive during perilous times. Their beautiful relationship sets the tone and raises the stakes for the rest of the show. It's a thrilling and captivating masterpiece of animation.

It's romantic, without being overly cheesy. I love how the characters built their romance on friendship. It was really nice to see characters like each other as people, as well as love each other deeply. It's thrilling, but not overly complicated. An evil 'ruler' controls a city, whilst rebels fight to tear down the system. It's original in the way it combines futuristic sci-fi with gay-romance and stunning animation. Put it this way, have you ever seen an action sci-fi film where the two male leads are in love with each other? Didn't think so. I guess what I'm trying to say is: it was perfect for me. 

My favorite character, the dog-girl.
As for my favourites: My favourite character was definitely dog-girl. I loved how defiant, stubborn, and proud she was at the start. What's more, I loved the way her character's guard gradually fell down around Shion, showing a softer side. It's always good to love the main characters, but loving the minor characters makes the show that much better. My favourite episode was definitely episode one: when Shion met Rat as a child and helped him. That whole sequence was so beautiful, I had to fight back tears before I even knew what the show was about. My favourite moment: when Shion and Rat were talking on the bed when they were 12 years old. It was so heartwarming to see! 

My favorite scene. 
The theme songs touched my soul, and the relationship between Shion and Rat touched my heart. It was a really effective combination I must say! Not to mention, the beautiful sci-fi animation really makes No.6 shine above others. As a whole, I grew really emotionally attached to everything in the show. I'm just super depressed that it's over now to be perfectly honest. I can't wait until enough time has passed so that I can watch it again. That way, I can relive the magic that it brought to me on the first viewing. If you're a fan of LGBT/Yaoi/Shonen-Ai movies or shows in general, then look no further than No.6. It's a masterpiece of its own kind. 


No comments:

Post a Comment