Monday 21 October 2013

"I'm as mad as hell and I'm not gonna take this anymore!"

Pet Peeves to do with the wonderful (and often woeful) world of cinema.

Hi everyone. I haven't been posting recently because I've been feeling completely exhausted after work, and I had no time this weekend to write anything. I have seen a few movies though, so I will be writing reviews soon!

Right now I just feel like letting off some steam and talking about things that annoy me most about some movie reviewers.

Number one: Gravity by Alfonso Cuaron.

We all know that Gravity is being hailed as a masterpiece by many, and is the most beloved film of 2013 so far. I personally loved it, plot flaws, cheesiness and all. I'm getting really annoyed at seeing some conceited reviewers belittle other peoples love for the film. It doesn't take a genius to point out a flaw or two in the film, but that doesn't mean it's not a perfect film for others. Calling people 'idiots' or 'novice film-goers' for loving Gravity is one of the most unprofessional things I can imagine a reviewer doing, and I've seen many people do just that. They have every right to hate a film, but they have no right to say that we should hate it too.


Number two: Hate for Forrest Gump (FG) and Slumdog Millionaire (SM). 

If a person doesn't like Forrest Gump or Slumdog Millionaire because they find the acting, music, cinematography etc. disagreeable, then they have every right to express their distaste. However, it does bother me when people pan these two films for having a story that is 'too coincidental' and 'unbelievable.' If a person flat out dislikes a film and finds it deplorable (like myself and The Great Gatsby), then there should be no quarrel about their giving it a bad review. I do shake my head though when I see people flat out pan FG and SM due to their outrageously grand storyline's. I can't stress this enough. If the story annoyed you, OK. But that doesn't make it a bad story... remember, this is fiction. FICTION. It may not be as believable as The Shawshank Redemption, or as historical as Schindler's List, but that's because they weren't written to be like that.


Thanks for taking the time to read my frustrations. Feels good to get that off my chest!

No comments:

Post a Comment