Monday 7 October 2013

Gravity (2013) - ★★★★½

Director: Alfonso Cuaron
Writers: Alfonso Cuaron, Jonas Cuaron
Stars: Sandra Bullock, George Clooney, Ed Harris, Paul Sharma

Gravity is the first film from 2013 that has captured my total love and adoration. Deep down, I'd be so happy for this film to win Best Picture at the upcoming Academy Awards. It's one of the most visually stunning films I've ever seen (it makes my Top 10 easily). It was so thrilling, the tissue I held in my hand throughout the movie ended up melting because of the sweat! My fists were clenched, my heart was beating fast, and man did my emotions go on a wild ride during the sensational outer-space experience. The drought of masterpieces is over in 2013! It makes me so glad to say that! As much as I loved this film, it does have its cheesy flaws. But like I always say, it's the emotional journey the movie takes you on that really counts, and man, this movie really took me on a memorable journey.

A team of astronauts are out in space to fix a satellite or telescope (something like that). The main members are the charismatic and lovable Matt Kowalski (George Clooney), and the serious and solemn Ryan Stone (Sandra Bullock). At first I wanted to tell you what led to the main story, but I think I should leave the movie to explain that one. Basically, female astronaut Ryan Stone must try to survive against all the odds out in space, on her own. It's one of the most thrilling movie-going experiences I've ever been through.

When I left the cinema with my mother, I was just about to tell her how much I loved the film. That's when she said "I'll just die if that wins Best Picture." Flabbergasted, I asked her why! She said, "It's no where near as good as Apollo 13." So there you have it. There are going to be comparisons made, as fruitless as they are. I personally loved Gravity much more than Apollo 13 (which is also a fine film).


Unsurprisingly, the greatest aspect of Gravity is its ground-breaking special effects. It always looked realistic. ALWAYS. That's something you don't see everyday in this new world of technology. I haven't been this thrilled by special effects since Life of Pi in 2012.  It completely submerses you in the endless and intimidating world of space.

Sandra Bullock deserves a nomination for Best Actress this year. It's not the best performance I've seen all year (I think Blanchett was better in Blue Jasmine), but it's still damn good. I'm not at all a fan of Bullock's performances. I liked her in the comedy 28 Days, and that's pretty much it. I couldn't stand her in Miss Congeniality, or Crash. Plus, I personally found her Oscar winning performance in The Blind Side to be the most undeserving in the history of the Academy Awards. Now I can finally put all that behind me, and say that she IS a great actress. She was brilliant in Gravity. When she has that emotional monologue, and the tears float off her face... let's just say I cried my eyes out. The best thing about her performance was definitely how believable it was. She makes a believable astronaut, with her intelligence, physique, and tough exterior. Bullock, you done good!


I absolutely adored the score by Steven Price, which elevated the whole film to masterpiece territory. It was a perfect score for 'space.' Long story short... the music is perfect, the cinematography is perfect, the SFX are perfect, the editing is perfect, the art direction is perfect. It's just a meticulously detailed film that hits all the right spots.



My heart gives this film 5 stars, but my brain tells me NO! I liked George Clooney, but the film would have been much more believable with an unknown (or lesser known) actor. I'm sick of seeing suave Clooney play himself in movies. I mean, it's just so apparent that we're watching the most famous actor in the world... and not an astronaut. Also, there were cheesy scenes that occurred every so often. I have nothing against 'cheese' or 'schmaltz' perse, but I felt it was reductive to an otherwise perfect film. I guess what I'm trying to say is, it is a NEAR perfect film.

Gravity took me on an extremely thrilling and emotional rollercoaster, space-ship ride! It's one of the best movies I've ever seen. A film that is sure to go down as a pure classic in the history books. I'd give it a solid 9/10. While I loved it, my family was divided on whether it was 'great' or not. You'll just have to go see it for yourself to find out which side you're on! If ever there was a film to see in cinema, it's Gravity. Go see it, because it might just be the only memorable masterpiece that comes around for a while.





8 comments:

  1. Oh my God, my review is the exact opposite of yours!! hahaha! I didn't like Gravity, but I enjoyed reading your opinion.

    Have a great, movie-full week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's following the same path as 'Inception' in 2010. Heaps of people praise it as a masterpiece, but there's a large amount of people that really dislike it too.

      Thanks Evi, can't wait to read your review! :)

      Delete
  2. Great review, I think it's a modern day classic, a hallmark kind of film even with some flaws.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree. It's just so memorable. I'll never forget it, even if I never watch it again :)

      Delete
  3. Pretty damn tense, but that script needed some working on. However, that was just my problem and as I can see, I'm very much alone. Nice review Ben.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, the script could have been better (they should have edited out the cheese and come up with something more substantial). I loved the film regardless. Thanks Dan :)

      Delete
  4. What cheese? I think Kubrick would have approved. .. but he wouldn't have hired Clooney; he probably would have gone for Charlton Heston.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think Kubrick would have approved... but that's just my opinion. If Charlton Heston was in this film... oh god, I hate to even imagine how bad it would be. I'd be sucked out of the story entirely. He and Clooney have that in common. They often play the same characters (granted they are great at doing that), but that just means their characters aren't unique. This film could have benefited from a fresh face.

      Delete