Sunday 14 April 2013

Napoleon (1995) – ★★★★

Director: Mario Andreacchio
Writer: Mario Andreacchio, Michael Bourchier
Stars: Jamie Croft, Philip Quast, Geoffrey Batemen, Blythe Danner, Barry Humphries, Joan Rivers

I am shocked and saddened to see that Napoleon, an Australian classic, has faded almost into extinction. Nobody talks about it anymore, and scarcely anyone I know has seen it. I’ve loved this film ever since I was a little boy. It’s more than an adventure, it’s magical. It hit all the right notes in terms of humour and emotion. If you ever want to get a movie for your children, get Napoleon! It will be one they’ll never forget.

This is the story of a Golden Retriever Pup named Napoleon, who gets transported away from his home after climbing into a loosely-tied basket with helium filled balloons. He gets into all kinds of trouble, eventually ending up stuck in outback Australia. Along his journey, he finds a mentor named Birdo, who tags along with him and helps him as he makes his way home.

There are heaps of animals encountered along the way. They include: an evil cat, a lazy koala, a conniving spider, a flamboyant kangaroo, a grouchy frill-necked lizard, playful dingo pups, and hilarious penguins. My goodness was it riveting to see as a child. I haven’t seen the film in years, yet I haven’t forgotten a thing.

The cinematography is magnificent. I could imagine how difficult it would have been to film all of these animals, and have to match human voices to the expressions on their faces. All I know is that it worked, and worked well. I also vividly remember the music to be exciting and make you want to run down the backyard and explore.

If you’re not a fan of children’s movies, then stay clear of Napoleon. If you have children, buy this film as soon as you can! What may not seem like much to adults can be a the most exciting, entertaining thing in the world to kids. Napoleon is just that, exciting.

5 comments:

  1. I'm 24 and I watch this movie first time last week, and I must admit, I was touched. One of the most beautiful family movies I ever saw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay :) I'm glad someone else appreciates this movie as much as I do!

      Delete
  2. I watch Napoleon every chance I get, and I'm in my 40's. We saw it for the first time when my children were small, and I don't know how many times we've watched it. I found out my son's best friend (12 years old) has never seen it, so the next time he is here, we will share it with him. Definitely one of the best movies ever made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great to hear! I'd call this one of the greatest children's movies of all time. Your children are super lucky :) haha

      Delete
  3. My two year old grand daugter (who rarely sits still for more than 5 minutes) sat through this movie and was captivated by it. My mother had it on video. I hope I can find it on dvd. It is an absolute gem.

    ReplyDelete