Sunday 14 April 2013

Sekaiichi Hatsukoi (2011) – ★★★★★

Director: Chiaki Kon

Written and Illustrated by: Shungiku Nakamura

Voices: Takashi Kondo, Katsuyuki Konishi, Yuuichi Nakamura, Hiroshi Kamiya

This is a fantastic show. If you love romance, then look no further than Sekaiichi Hatsukoi. I did not read the manga series, but I stumbled upon the show while looking for a new TV series to watch. From the very start, I was hooked.

This show is everything I love about romance all wrapped into one beautiful, entertaining masterpiece of a show! It follows the stories of the authors, illustrators, and editors, with each story as intriguing as the next. I should mention that all of these stories involve same-sex romance between males, not that it should make any difference. From the cat-and-mouse romance of Ritsu and Tanaka, to the explosive love triangle between Hatori, Chiaki, and Yuu, there’s something for everyone who loves a good RomCom.


I’m extremely emotionally attached to these characters. I care about each and every one of them, even the smaller characters. It’s amazing that on my first night of watching this show, it touched me like no other animated series has.


There is extraordinarily beautiful music used throughout the series, which makes my heart melt everytime I hear it. Each individual story is also astoundingly simple, yet masterful. I think the saying ‘Less is More’ describes this show perfectly. It has wonderful animation and attention to detail, from the eyes to the background.


It’s not the dialogue or the looks of the characters that makes this such an intensely interesting show. What makes it interesting is how perfectly everything gels together. There’s not one thing out of place, everything fits together just right.

The music, the story, and animation work together to make it one smooth, cohesive, entertaining show. Yes it’s cheesy, and yes it’s unrealistic, but in the end it takes you to a world where love is the only thing that matters. As silly as that sounds, it’s refreshing to watch.

It has been a couple of years since I last saw the show, (I just recently revisited my review), and I can honestly say it still gives me butterflies just thinking about it.

4 comments:

  1. My buddies made fun of me for liking this...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like it's time for you to get new buddies ;)

      Delete
  2. I love this show, I hope there will be a third season !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool nice seoson

    ReplyDelete