Friday 7 June 2013

Lady and the Tramp (1955) - ★★★½

Director: Clyde Geronimi, Wilfred Jackson, Hamilton Luske
Voice Actors: Peggy Lee, Barbara Luddy, Larry Roberts, Bill Thompson, Bill Baucorn

Lady and the Tramp surprised me. When I was a child, I despised this movie. I can't exactly say why, but I just never connected to the story or the characters. Probably because I'm a cat person.

Anyway, watching it again I realised that this is one of Disney's better films. The animation looks magnificent for 1955, and many scenes just had me in awe. I think what surprised me the most was that I got a little bit emotional towards the end. It's not one of my favorite Disney films, but I can't deny that's a very good movie.

So this rich and lovely husband and wife buy a puppy and call it Lady. She grows up and eventually stops getting as much attention, mainly because of her owner's new born baby. She meets a dog called Tramp, who helps her one day when she can't get a muzzle off. He shows her life outside the backyard, where dogs can roam free and chase chickens. They have run-ins with rabid dogs and the pound, but one thing is clear, they're in love.

An amazing moment in the history of cinema.
At times this movie gets a little boring, but you know what? I really enjoyed myself. I think this is a children's movie that grown-ups can enjoy just as much (if not more) than the kids. The most famous scene in this movie (and arguably the most famous scene in Disney history) is where the dogs are sharing a plate of spaghetti. That really is one of the most beautiful moments in cinematic history.

I really liked the music throughout, with the exception of "We are Siamese." It's good old fashioned Disney music, with a wonderful choir singing the chorus. The greatest moment was when the two Italian restaurant workers sang Bella Notte to Lady and the Tramp. I'm not gonna lie, I absolutely hated the Siamese song that was sung by those horrendous cats. Mainly because they scared the hell out of me when I was a kid, but the feelings are still there.

What I found funny was that Bill Thompson did the voice of nearly every character in the movie. He has done work for Disney many times, most notable for playing Mr. Smee in Peter Pan.

Well there's not much more to say really. It's really well made and more mature than most Disney films. I laughed a few times, I smiled a lot, and I nearly shed a tear.


No comments:

Post a Comment