Monday 24 June 2013

WALL.E (2008) - ★★★★★

Director: Andrew Stanton
Writers: Andrew Stanton, Pete Docter, Jim Reardon
Voices: Jeff Garlin, Fred Willard, John Ratzenberger, Kathy Najimy, Sigourney Weaver

Not only is WALL.E one of the greatest animated movies I've ever seen, it's also one of the greatest movies ever made. I can't believe it took me 5 years to finally see this movie! I don't think I've ever loved a character as much as WALL.E, or a romance as cute as the one he had with EVE. The story is like a classic silent-movie romance mixed with the setting from 2001: A Space Odyssey. There is heaps of original content too, and tons of fun in every scene. I ended up growing so attached to the mechanized lovers that they even made me shed a tear of joy. This movie proves that the golden age of Disney is not yet over.

Set in the distant future, Earth is covered in garbage and appears to be abandoned by all organic life-forms. All we know is that this little garbage compressing robot called WALL.E spends his days rummaging through the waste, cleaning up what he can and collecting little treasures to keep in his bunker. One day, a rocket-ship lands on Earth and leaves behind a robot called EVE. Together they get up to all kinds of shenanigans, which ultimately leads WALL.E on a whirlwind adventure into space.


This is easily one of the most romantic movies I've ever seen. It's one of those rare animated movies that adults will most-likely enjoy more than their children. Not only is it hilarious, but it's highly emotional too. I can't speak for everyone, but I was hooked on this little robot's adventures from the very beginning. The only words the two robots say to each other are their names. It still pulls at my heartstrings whenever I hear WALL.E say "EVE."

The animation is up there with the very best I've seen. This is 3D animation done right! The garbage-filled wasteland that is Earth not only looked stunning, but highly realistic too. Not to mention, the actual animation of WALL.E looks like he was hand-crafted and plunked into computer-animated surroundings.

It's pretty obvious what the message is. We need to look after our planet before we destroy our chances of living on Earth. In WALL.E, an abundance of garbage and a big corporation is to blame for Earth's demise. But humans are to blame even more-so for sitting back and letting it happen. It's like 'The Lorax' but way more interesting.


You know what is most incredible about WALL.E? The fact that any moment in the movie could be seen as its 'peak'. From start to finish, everything was exemplary. At the start, there is the intriguing story of a lonely little robot that collects bric-a-brac. It then turns into the most adorable little romance. Then it becomes an exhilerating action-adventure. Then it becomes a highly interesting mystery.

When it finally finished, I had the most profound feeling of elation. My faith in the future of animation is restored. I know this movie is already 5 years old, but I just know that Disney/Pixar can create a masterpiece like this one again. Not since The Lion King have I seen a Disney movie as good as WALL.E. I said it before and I'll say it again, it's one of the greatest movies ever made.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that this movie is really good. This one took a lot of chances not just for a kids film but a regular movie too. We need more of these films not sequels

    ReplyDelete