Wednesday 19 June 2013

The Tin Star (2006) - ★★★★

Author: J.L. Langley
Genre: Gay & Lesbian, Romance

For my very first book review, I've chosen The Tin Star. Let's just say that it had me hooked from the very first chapter and I couldn't put it down. It's sometimes funny, very unrealistic, and contains so much gooey romance that you can't help but love this book. If there's one thing The Tin Star does, it makes gay romance look beautiful and passionate. However, it fails to highlight the extreme difficulties of being in a same-sex relationship (especially since it is set in the deep-south). Overall, this book is intended to excite and enthrall its target audience, and it does just that.


When James Killian comes out to his father, he finds himself banished from his home and fired from his job. His savior comes in the unlikely form of Ethan Whitehall, his older brother's best friend.

Let me start off by saying that Ethan and Jamie's relationship is absolutely beautiful. J.L. Langley knows how to write interesting characters, but she's even better at writing an interesting romance. The Tin Star was an absolute joy to read. I couldn't put it down. It's quite humorous, but not "Haha" funny. I did giggle a little bit when one of the character's phone's went off, and the ringtone was 'Man, I Feel Like a Woman," by Shania Twain. 

One thing I must mention is that this book is very erotic to those who prefer men. The sex scenes were pretty amazing. It's nowhere near as kinky as 50 Shades of Grey, yet it's twice as passionate and well written. If anything, there were too many sex scenes and not enough plot development. However, I didn't mind this at all. 

The relationship was too perfect, I was reading this feeling jealous more than anything. Even the biggest bomb-shell in the story became 'OK' in a matter of pages. However, the overload of happiness and 'perfection' in their relationship is different, and that's why I like this book. Everything is too good to be true [lucky it's a fiction novel]!

It's implied that almost everyone in town is homophobic, but practically everyone in the book is over the moon about Jamie coming out of the closet. Not just that, they're more than happy to embrace his new-found relationship with Ethan. I didn't mind this, but it certainly defies the realities of living in the south.  

The story is kind of weak, but the way it is written makes it interesting from start-to-finish. Most novels are filled with problems, depression, sadness... it's nice to finally read a book that makes you feel good 90% of the time. I really enjoyed this novel, and I recommend it to anyone who's interested in a whirlwind romance between two perfect cowboys. 


No comments:

Post a Comment